We’re all familiar by now with Google’s monthly release of its Android distribution pie charts. On this month’s chart, though, we’re finally seeing a changing of the guard as the chart reveals that Android devices running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or higher have finally taken the majority of the Android ecosystem.

Ice Cream Sandwich currently holds 28.6 percent of the Android pie while Android 4.1 and 4.2 Jelly Bean claim 16.5 percent, for a combined total of 45.1 percent, barely overtaking Gingerbread’s 44.2 percent. Jelly Bean increased by 2.9 percent from last month’s Android numbers, while Ice Cream Sandwich dropped 0.4 percent and Gingerbread dropped 1.4 percent.

Despite their age, earlier versions Donut, Eclair and Froyo still make up a combined 9.7 percent, while Honeycomb has 1.2 percent of Android devices.

Google is expected to launch the next version, Android Key Lime Pie, at Google I/O on May 15-17. It will definitely be interesting to see what the company has up its sleeves for the next version. Until then, we can only guess.

  • Kyle McDougal

    Considering how old Gingerbread is and how fast Android has been selling, that’s pretty crazy. Makes me wonder if most people using Android even know they’re using Android lol. If they did, I would think they’d know their OS is out of date.

    • Chris Weber

      Not really. Considering iOS is selling so well, I would think people don’t care that they’re using an out-of-date operating system. Just saying.

  • http://twitter.com/BileshaWelton Bilesha Welton

    What’s next? Android Lollipop? lol

    • Jamie Moon

      You laugh, but that actually sounded good to me.