BeFunky, a competitor to Facebook’s Instagram, unveiled an upgraded photo gallery on web and mobile on March 18 that “aims to revolutionize what consumers have come to expect from photo browsing”. The new release offers more interactive features and functionality for BeFunky users, who create about 52 million photos on the service every month with 18 million active monthly visits and 530,000 active users per day.
BeFunky introduces their new gallery as the “Instagram on steroids.” While most photo galleries are based around who the user is connected to, the BeFunky service bases photo browsing on user interests. The service also allows users to sort the content in different ways and has introduced a number of new features and functionality to its users. According to the press release, these features include:
- New Channels Feature takes into consideration the kinds of photos people love looking at, and not only helps them find those pictures, but gives them the tools to see the content in a variety of ways. Regardless of your interests you’ll be able to find tons of pictures you love, and view them any way you like.
- Engineering Magic Tons of great pictures are guaranteed to be showcased because the BeFunky team created a sophisticated algorithm that takes into account numerous factors to help photos get noticed, including how the community interacts with the them. Furthermore, the BeFunky ambassadors (who were carefully selected from within the community) help to contribute and moderate the content, which ensures that the photos fall in line with what BeFunky’s demographic likes.
- The Entire Experience is Interactive Since BeFunky believes in always keeping control with the user, not only do people now have the ability to easily find and browse what they want, they can also view the content how the want. Filtering options are incorporated throughout the gallery, giving people an unparalleled amount of control throughout their experience.
- Enhanced ‘My Stream’ Feature makes it more relevant than ever because people can now combine pictures from categories they subscribe to with photos from the people they follow into one central location.
- Simultaneously Share Photos Across Users’ Favorite Social Networks The latest version of BeFunky offers a new screen for saving and sharing photos across multiple social networks at once, including Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Flickr, and BeFunky’s own Gallery.
- Enhanced User Profile Features BeFunky has added new features that let users customize their user profiles and view activity related to them in a variety of ways.
- New Text Feature on Mobile lets users add text to photos directly from BeFunky’s apps. People can choose between a variety of fonts, colors, and backgrounds with the push of a button—and without having to leave the application.
BeFunky’s photo gallery picks up where Instagram leaves off
BeFunky is currently gaining 8 times as many daily active users as they did a year ago and has been downloaded on iOS and Android a combined 11 million times. The service looks to continue that growth with the release of this new gallery and new features.
“BeFunky’s photo gallery picks up where Instagram leaves off,” said Tekin Tatar, CEO and co-founder of BeFunky. “There are several photo apps on the market, but none of them compare to BeFunky’s capabilities, ease of use, and the amount of control we give the user. Our upgraded gallery is no exception when it comes to these core values. Today we launch a new photo gallery that not only surpasses our competitors, but will generate an unprecedented amount of activity on the platform, which already has impressive numbers.”
So, if you’re ready to get funky and be ready for the roll out of the new gallery and features, you can download BeFunky right now in the Google Play Store or the iTunes App Store. In the meantime, check out some new screenshots of the application below.