If you needed anymore proof that the Windows Phone OS market share is growing and prospering in 3rd place, the the latest numbers obtained from the IDC IDC show it in black and white.

Windows Phone has moved into third with a 3.2 percent share over BlackBerry’s 2.9 percent. The Windows Phone smartphone market has also been growing while the BlackBerry marketshare has been in constant decline.

Meanwhile, Android continues to dominate the global market thanks in large part to Samsung at 75 percent, while Apple’s iOS devices actually lost a little bit of market share, currently standing at 17.3 percent. While both Android and iOS may hold a combined 92.3 percent of the market, Windows Phone has certainly stepped up its game with Microsoft and Nokia at the reigns.

“Windows Phone claiming the third spot is a first and helps validate the direction taken by Microsoft and key partner Nokia,” said Kevin Restivo, senior research analyst with IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker.

Projections do show continued growth of the platform through 2016, so it looks like this growth will continue in the long term, especially with new, low cost devices such as the Nokia Lumia 520 and 521 hitting the market.

  • Ralphage

    Awesome! :D I’m an Android user but… Go WP!

    Competition is GOOD!

    • http://twitter.com/ZackKennedy Zack Kennedy

      Hey, you know what, Android did grow quite a bit! ;)
      Thanks for cheering WP even if you don’t use it. Who says we can’t get along? :P

      • Ben Jammin’

        Google… at least they try to.

  • http://twitter.com/ZackKennedy Zack Kennedy

    Good to hear. Now lets get Instagram! :D

    I don’t use it (pointless to me) but that’s the only app I hear people complaining about the absence of. Of course we have a good third party Instagram app coming in the next week or two :)

  • Ben Jammin’

    Boo-yah!

  • Siri_Mock

    Q2 sales will be even better for WP and Nokia because this is when they
    released the 520 and 720 in many markets simultaneously and brought 620
    to all the markets.

    • Edward Not From Twilight

      This is true.

  • Edward Not From Twilight

    All Microsoft needs to do is develop a plugin for Exchange that would
    give it the same funtionality as the Blackberrry Enterprise server and
    RIM would die quickly.

    • Gammi

      BlackBerry* :P

      They changed their name.

      • Edward Not From Twilight

        Well that’s what I meant.