Viber has launched the long-awaited version 4.0 of its app on Windows Phone 8, and it brings the latest Viber features to Microsoft’s mobile platform for the first time, the most notable of which is the popular Viber Sticker Market.
The new version is a major step towards bringing the Windows Phone 8 version of Viber in line with versions of the app currently available for iOS and Android.
The update includes:
- “Seen” status lets users know their messages have been viewed
- “Last online” status lets users know when contacts are online
- Descriptions can be added to photos
- Improved quality of photo thumbnails in conversations
- Viber notification sounds will be used for incoming push notifications
- Ability to hide notification content
- Emoji to emoticon translation to ensure cross platform compatibility
- Improved app speed, making resuming and loading much faster
- Enhanced delivery of push notifications despite platform limitations
“This update is part of our constant efforts to innovate and iterate…”
“Over the last several months, we have taken significant steps to make the full Viber experience available across as many platforms as possible, and today’s release for Windows Phone 8 is another step along that path,” said Talmon Marco, CEO of Viber. “This update is part of our constant efforts to innovate and iterate new versions of Viber that provide additional functionality and make the platform even more enjoyable and useful to our users.”
This release comes on the heels of Viber 4.2 for Android, which was released a few days ago, which included the highly-anticipated Block Number feature, along with the ability to send up to 10 photos at the same time and the option to select any message or call sounds for Viber.
Viber says the 4.2 update will be coming to iPhone in the coming days.
The new version of Viber can be downloaded directly from the Windows Phone Store