Stories of “Bill Shock” have become all too common, even for celebrities like One Direction. Imagine yourself coming back from a hard earned vacation only to find yourself having to do more hours and overtime at work just to pay for a higher than expected phone bill. Trust us, it’s very common.
The biggest culprit is data roaming, resulting from a dangerous combination of overly inflated rates, plus a lack of transparency of usage and billing. Luckily, though, global SIM card provider DOODAD has the answer.
“People want to stay connected when they travel, yet they go to extreme lengths to avoid bill shock. They’ll either just use Wi-Fi when they can get it, or seek out a local SIM. But these options aren’t ideal” explains Sarah Neill, Co-founder and CEO at DOODAD. “We believe that giving people control over what they spend, will allow them to feel confident using data when they want it, without this worry.”
DOODAD a pre-paid SIM card that works in 62 countries, gives customers control in three ways:
- Prepaid. Add $30, and you can’t spend more than $30, without choosing to add more.
- Transparent. A dashboard shows balance (and usage) at any time. So watch a video, and see how much data it uses. You’ll quickly learn what different activities use, and can make better choices about how to use your data as a result.
- Daily Max feature. An industry first, this feature allows you to choose how much you want to spend per day in terms of dollars, which for most of us is easier to understand than megabytes. Reach your Daily Max and you can choose to wait until your Daily Max resets (every 24 hours), or increase your Daily Max. This means you’re never without data when you want it.
This is huge step forward from the typical industry solution – alert people when they’ve already spent a certain amount of money, which is pretty useless; many times, you’ve already spent more than you intended.
“89% of our customers use our Daily Max feature to help control their spending on international data roaming,” shares Rebecca Mills, Customer Marketing Manager. “We are really happy that we’ve been able to show the industry that there are ways to give customers the control they are craving.”
In addition to spending control, DOODAD provides a few other desirable characteristics for the traveler:
- Just one SIM card gives you access to data in 62 countries (and counting).
- Long expiry of 365 days means any pre-paid data not used on one trip, is available for the next.
- Free SIM. Order from www.getadoodad.com and pay just $3 shipping globally.
So needless to say, if you’re looking at traveling abroad and you want to stay connected with your smartphone, you just might want to get a DOODAD. And hey, couple DOODAD with your favorite calling and messaging application and you have a combination that could save you a whole lot of green on your trip.