Phishing is the attempt to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. Communications purporting to be from popular social web sites, auction sites, banks, online payment processors or IT administrators are commonly used to lure people into their attempts.
cameoNet’s central element is authentication
Previously anti-phishing measures have mainly consisted of anti-spam software in conjunction with the user’s responsibility to closely inspect the e-mail address, URL, the mail’s content and the requested information. This procedure can never be 100% secure, as often things are overlooked.
cameoNet pursues a completely new approach. Its central element is authentication. When verified users communicate, the issue of phishing is eradicated because all parties know who exactly the sender is and who communicates with whom.
“cameoNet offers a very simple and reliable solution which can even be realized without a central overseer,” the company said. “All communicating participants are registered with cameoNet, have a cameoKey and through it, communicate securely. Moreover, banks, insurance companies, suppliers etc. state their Pub Key fingerprints. In addition to this every single document can be protected by a signature.”
SSL-certificates and fingerprints are also used to make sure the respective institution really is the sender and it is a not a phishing attempt.
“Every single document can be protected by a signature”
- Authentication – all users can be authenticated
- Authenticity of documents – digital signatures
- cameoNet users know for certain who the sender of a message is and that the message has not been manipulated
- Important electronic communication is solely carried out with authentication and digital signature
- Use case Webident: Other Institutions can be provided with this way of authentication