Remember that combined SIM and App service that we’ve been talking about for over a year here on TruTower? Well it’s finally happened. Truphone has demonstrated its Truphone+ service at Mobile World Congress today which essentially combines its SIM Card and VoIP application services into one.
Truphone+ (or “Truphone Plus“> can deliver coverage and HD audio to customers even when there is no signal, an approach that keeps customers connected no matter where in the world they are. We were able to confirm this was occurring more than a year ago, so it’s great to see it finally take hold.
The full press release follows:
Truphone+ Keeps You Connected Even When You Have No Cellular Coverage
BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — Truphone today gave the first public demonstration of Truphone+, its upcoming phone service that combines GSM services with its internet calling capabilities (VoIP). Truphone+ allows users to make either standard calls over traditional mobile networks or calls over Wi-Fi, with a new intelligent calling system automatically choosing the best option. Truphone+ can deliver coverage and even HD audio to customers who otherwise have no signal, letting them stay connected wherever they are.
“I, like many people, don’t have reliable mobile coverage at my home in the countryside – or even in my London office,” said Truphone founder and CTO James Tagg. “The Truphone+ service will let me use my phone normally, whether I’m on the cellular phone network or not.”
Truphone+ will be an automatic upgrade for all new Truphone SIM customers who download the free Truphone App, which is available on iOS, Android and BlackBerry 10 devices. The Truphone App will include additional features that complement Truphone+, such as call encryption and a call cost indicator that tells you the cost per minute, before you dial.
Truphone+ is also fully compatible with existing Truphone services, such as the ability to have multiple international numbers on a single SIM.
Truphone+ is planned for release in Q2 2013.
Key features of Truphone+ include:
- Combined mobile phone network and Wi-Fi service – Truphone+ lets you make and receive calls over Wi-Fi when standard networks aren’t available, with exactly the same experience
- Eliminate bill shock: A call cost indicator displays the precise per-minute cost so the user can decide when and where they want to make a call
- Ease of use – Truphone+ is designed for speed and simplicity – all you have to do is press ‘call’, the rest is seamless
- One voicemail – It does not matter whether you miss a call on Wi-Fi or the cellular network, all your voicemail is in one place
- Parallel ringing – Truphone+ makes it easier to manage multiple devices by letting you choose which devices ring when you are called