Samsung has announced that its Galaxy S line of Android phones has shifted a total of 100 million units “on the supply side” to date. Meanwhile, the manufacturer’s leading Galaxy S III smartphone has reportedly moved some 40 million units, as has its predecessor, the Galaxy S II. The Galaxy S III also sold twice as quickly during its first five months on the market, with 20 million channel sales compared to 10 million for the Galaxy S II. The original Galaxy S sold 24 million units since it was released in June, 2010.
Samsung also revealed that the Galaxy S3 is currently selling at a rate of around 190,000 per day, and the news follows some major announcements for Samsung, including its 110-inch 4K “Floating” TV and 8-core Exynos 5 Octa processor. The latter is expected to run faster and up to 70 percent more efficiently than the company’s current fastest mobile chip, the Exynos 5 Dual, and the processor could power the upcoming Galaxy S IV when it’s released later this year.
The full press release follows:
Samsung GALAXY S Series Surpasses 100 Million Unit Sales
January 14, 2013
• Samsung has announced that global channel sales of the company’s flagship smartphone, GALAXY S III and its two
predecessors GALAXY S and GALAXY S II have surpassed 100 million units sales as of January 13, 2013.
• Samsung GALAXY smartphones are intuitive and easy to use, display photos and videos on dazzling screens, and
deliver a premium user experience with a design that is elegant and feels natural.
• The GALAXY S, has reached over 24 million global channel shipments, achieving 10 million of these during the first
seven months after its launch in June 2010.
• Building on this success Samsung launched the GALAXY S II in April 2011. This smartphone reached around
40 million shipments, achieving 10 million global channel sales in just five months.
• In May 2012, Samsung unveiled the GALAXY S III – a smartphone designed for humans and inspired by nature.
It revolutionized the user experience, and was critically acclaimed, achieving 20 million global channel sales in
just 100 days – which made it Samsung’s fastest selling smartphone yet.
• GALAXY S III has now passed the mark of 40 million unit channel sales.