It seems some customers have been waiting endlessly for something, anything, regarding Tru’s plans for their Local Anywhere GSM service. So, we took it upon ourselves to investigate the future of Tru SIM.
During our investigations, we have indeed uncovered some details of what is planned for Tru SIM, and we even discovered some things regarding the Tru VoIP App as well (but more about Tru App in a later article).
What we know:
- Tru is planning to release an updated SIM card in the near future which fixes iPhone 4S issues some customers have been experiencing and Nokia connectivity issues experienced by some customers.
- Tru is indeed planning to launch their services in Spain and the Netherlands, along with other countries. This was originally expected during the “first 3 months of 2012.” The exact dates of the launches are not known, but sources expect Spain to go Tru sometime in mid-2012.
- Regarding Tru bundle plans, we have already confirmed that bundle plans are indeed in the works. What we don’t know yet is the exact date they will launch, but we are working on finding out a launch date.
- Over the course of the next two years, the Tru App and Tru SIM services will be combined so that customers will only have to deal with one account instead of two. What this means is when you top up one account, you can use these funds with both services. This is also true for any Tru Numbers that are purchased.
- We were able to confirm that Tru is at least “looking into” a Tru-to-Tru option for Tru SIM users, and this option will also include Tru App users. Our sources within Tru have told us “There are some cost and technical considerations when applying something like this globally, especially as a fixed-price bolt-on …” Tru is, of course, considering all the options.
- Call-forwarding (for instance, so customers can use a third-party voicemail provider) is currently under consideration, but not yet confirmed.
- Twitter/Facebook short code SMS support is planned and confirmed. No time frame as of yet.
We will keep our eyes open, our investigation into Tru SIM going, and will post more information as soon as we have more to go on. Stay tuned to TruTower.com or our Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Google+ pages for up-to-date information.